marcicat: (kitteh heart)
[personal profile] marcicat
Title: [this is one of my favorites, actually]
Fandom: Last Binding Series (Freya Marske)

Pairing/Characters: Robin Blyth & Violet Debenham
Content Notes: It's an AU! IN SPACE! But still with magic!

Prompt: torrential downpour



"Did I mention Cheetham responds to his emotions?"

Robin stared at the rain sheeting down around him. He was already soaked through. Violet had wisely stayed under the cover of the awning. Slowly, he said, "You didn't, no. I suppose I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Cheetham has weather. Spinet never makes it rain."

Violet took a small step further into the awning's protection. "No, Spinet responds more to those with musical affinities. Edwin has a nature affinity; it's why Cheetham likes him."

Robin considered joining her, but the space under the awning wasn't that large. Besides, it wasn't like spending more time in the rain could get him any wetter than he already was. "How do you know that?"

Violet shrugged. "Elsie told me. Apparently she and Jack and Edwin were all childhood friends." Robin thought she was probably trying to distract him so she could send more pictures of him drenched in rainwater to Maud, but that was fair. Honestly, he would have done the same thing.

"Did she also happen to tell you where he is right now?"

Violet said, "He's in the oak grove," and Robin sucked in a startled breath. Was there really an oak grove? Here?

"An oak grove? Is that — Do you mean an actual grove of oak trees, or is is 'oak grove' just a fanciful name for — oh, I don't know, a spa room, or some such thing?"

Violet shrugged again, or at least he thought she did. It was actually a little hard to tell through the rain, which he thought might be getting heavier. "I've never seen it, but I would assume it's an actual grove of oak trees, given —" She waved her hand at the grounds around them. "All of this." She knew him well, because her next words were, "Have you seen it? In a vision, I mean?"

Robin hesitated. He'd seen something, but — "I'm not sure." He squinted towards what looked like sky. "Is the rain a bad sign, do you think?"

"Well, I don't think it's a good sign," Violet answered dryly.

He laughed. "Maybe not. Although rain can be — refreshing, I suppose."

Violet looked like she didn't agree, but wasn't going to argue about it. "Maybe you should go find him," she prompted.

Robin nodded, feeling rain dripping off his nose and chin. He must look terrible; definitely not refreshed. If his vision was correct, Edwin would have an umbrella, and look impeccably put-together. Well, best begin as you expect to go on, and all that. "Yes, maybe I will."

Profile

marcicat: purple (Default)
marciratingsystem

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 05:57 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios