day 14: halfway point check-in
Sep. 14th, 2026 07:43 amTitle: [if you do something enough times (like not titling things!) it becomes a thematic element]
Fandom: Last Binding Series (Freya Marske)
Pairing/Characters: Elsie Alston & Edwin Courcey
Content Notes: It's an AU! IN SPACE! But still with magic!
Prompt: being alone together
Elsie found Edwin back in the oak grove, sitting cross-legged in what she expected was the exact center of the circle of trees. She sat down next to him anyway. They shared the space in comfortable silence, and when Edwin shifted closer, she laid her head on his shoulder.
"You didn't need to stay away," she said. "After you and Jack were over." She was still a little angry at Jack about the whole situation, which Jack knew, but she thought maybe Edwin didn't know, and probably should.
Edwin's voice was quiet when he answered. "I appreciate you saying that. But I stayed away for me, because I needed it."
"Did you?"
Edwin sighed. "Oh, I don't know. I told myself I did. I was so jealous of you both, when we were younger. And then I was angry, and it was just — easier to be apart, I suppose. I missed you, though. Both of you. All of you," he amended, patting the ground.
Elsie lifted her head so she could meet his eyes. "I missed you too. The circumstances are terrible, but I am glad they brought us together again." She wouldn't speak for Jack — he would need to make his own explanations and apologies, however long that took.
"Thank you." They were quiet again for long enough for a cat to join them, and climb up in her lap. Finally, Edwin said, "Do you think this will work?"
Elsie took the time to consider the question; Edwin deserved an honest answer.
"I think we'll make it work," she said finally. "Even if it doesn't quite follow every step of the plan."
Edwin gave a small laugh and held up his hands. "I'm still not sure how the plan even ended up with so many steps. I think I may have already forgotten some, but I have absolutely no interest in rehashing all of them again to check."
"All right," Elsie said. She nudged her shoulder against Edwin's. "Can we talk about you and Robin Blyth instead?"
"Absolutely not."
Fandom: Last Binding Series (Freya Marske)
Pairing/Characters: Elsie Alston & Edwin Courcey
Content Notes: It's an AU! IN SPACE! But still with magic!
Prompt: being alone together
Elsie found Edwin back in the oak grove, sitting cross-legged in what she expected was the exact center of the circle of trees. She sat down next to him anyway. They shared the space in comfortable silence, and when Edwin shifted closer, she laid her head on his shoulder.
"You didn't need to stay away," she said. "After you and Jack were over." She was still a little angry at Jack about the whole situation, which Jack knew, but she thought maybe Edwin didn't know, and probably should.
Edwin's voice was quiet when he answered. "I appreciate you saying that. But I stayed away for me, because I needed it."
"Did you?"
Edwin sighed. "Oh, I don't know. I told myself I did. I was so jealous of you both, when we were younger. And then I was angry, and it was just — easier to be apart, I suppose. I missed you, though. Both of you. All of you," he amended, patting the ground.
Elsie lifted her head so she could meet his eyes. "I missed you too. The circumstances are terrible, but I am glad they brought us together again." She wouldn't speak for Jack — he would need to make his own explanations and apologies, however long that took.
"Thank you." They were quiet again for long enough for a cat to join them, and climb up in her lap. Finally, Edwin said, "Do you think this will work?"
Elsie took the time to consider the question; Edwin deserved an honest answer.
"I think we'll make it work," she said finally. "Even if it doesn't quite follow every step of the plan."
Edwin gave a small laugh and held up his hands. "I'm still not sure how the plan even ended up with so many steps. I think I may have already forgotten some, but I have absolutely no interest in rehashing all of them again to check."
"All right," Elsie said. She nudged her shoulder against Edwin's. "Can we talk about you and Robin Blyth instead?"
"Absolutely not."